TMB on Facebook
Live Twitter Feed
Super Mario Bros Online Manual (NES)
- Written by Luke Hackett
Super Mario Bros (NES) - Online Game Manual
Super Mario Bros. (r) Online Manual
Object of the game/Game description
One day the kingdom of the peaceful mushroom people was invaded by the Koopa,
a tribe of turtles famous for their black magic. The quiet, peace-loving
Mushroom People were turned into mere stones, bricks and even field horse-
hair plants, and the Mushroom Kingdom fell into ruin.
The only one who can undo the magic spell on the Mushroom People and return
them to their normal selves is the Princess Toadstool, the daughter of the
Mushroom King. Unfortunately, she is presently in the hands of the great
Koopa turtle king.
Mario, the hero of this story (maybe) hears about the Mushroom People's
plight and sets out on a quest to free the Mushroom Princess from the evil
Koopa and restore the fallen kingdom of the Mushroom People.
You are Mario! It's up to you to save the Mushroom People from the black
magic of the Koopa!
Please read this instruction booklet to ensure proper handling of your new
game, and then save this booklet for future reference.
Names of controller parts and operating instructions
Controller 1/Controller 2 *Controller 1 - for 1 player game
*Controller 2 - for second player in 2 player game
Down: Crouch. (Super Mario only.)
Left: Walk to the left. (Push button B at the same time to run.)
Right: Walk to the right. (Push button B at the same time to run.)
Jump - Mario (Luigi) jumps higher if you hold the button down longer.
Swim - When you're in the water, each press of the button makes you bob up.
*Don't get too lazy about swimming or you'll get pulled under by the
whirlpool at the bottom of the screen.
Accelerate - Press this button to speed up, then jump and you can go all the
Fireballs - After you pick up the fire flower, you can use this button to
Use this button to move the mushroom mark to the game you wish to play
Press this button to begin
If you wish to interrupt play in the middle of a game, press the Start button.
The pause tone will sound, and the game will stop. Press the Start button
again when you wish to continue playing. The game will continue from where
you left off.
* The top score will disappear if the reset switch is pressed or the power
switch is turned off.
How to play
As this game proceeds the screen gradually advances to the right. The Mushroom
Kingdom is made up of a number of worlds, and each world is divided into 4
areas. The fourth area of each world ends in a big castle. The Princess, as
well as her mushroom retainers, are being held in one of the castles by the
turtle tribe. In order to rescue the Princess, Mario has to make it to the
castle at the end of each world within the given time. Along the way are
mountains, pits, sea, turtle soldiers, and a host of traps and riddles.
Whether or not you can make it to the last castle and free the Princess
depends on you. You're going to need sharp wits and lightning reflexes to
complete this quest!
Starting position and time progress
- At the beginning of the round, play starts from the beginning of the area;
however, once Mario gets about halfway through an area, he doesn't have to
go all the way back to the beginning after getting done in by the bad guys.
* When you get to the last castle, you start the game over from the castle
- When play starts, the clock in the upper right of the screen starts ticking
away. Any time left on the clock when you get to the end of each area is
added to your score as bonus points.
* There is no remaining-time bonus when you get to the very last castle.
- At the end of each area there is a small castle, but before you get to the
castle you have to go up a big staircase and jump onto a flagpole. The
higher you jump onto the flagpole, the higher the bonus you receive.
Jumping - Mario and Super Mario both jump the same height.
- The height Mario jumps depends on how long you hold the A button down.
- You can use the control pad to make Mario hook to the left or right even in
- Pushing the B button makes Mario speed up, and when Mario is speeded up he
can jump higher.
- If Mario picks up 1 up mushroom, he gets an extra life.
- If Mario picks up 100 coins, he gets an extra life.
- In addition, there are other ways to get an extra Mario.
Mario, Super Mario, Invincible Mario, etc.
If you come across mushrooms who have been turned into bricks or made invis-
ibie, they reward you by giving you a power boost. With each boost Mario
changes into a different, more powerful Mario, as shown below.
Mario -> Magic Mushroom -> Super Mario -> Fire Flower -> Fiery Mario
(return to regular Mario when bumped into by a bad guy)
Starman -> Invincible Mario
* When Super Mario or Fiery Mario are bumped into by a bad guy, they don't
die but simply return to their old regular-Mario selves.
* For a short while after turning back into his regular-Mario self, Mario
flickers. During this time, he cannot be killed by bad guys (he's invin-
How to topple the Turtle Tribe
- Bad guys on top of the bricks can be taken care of by punching from below.
Bad guys on the ground can be done in by jumping on top of them. If you
bump into an enemy from the side or from below, you die.
* When in the water, no matter what direction you hit the bad guys from you
- If you stomp on a Koopa Troopa, he becomes (shell) and stays motionless for
a while. During that time, you can kick him and send him flying to knock
down other enemies.
- When Mario has fireballs, use the B button to throw them and fry the enemy.
- Some bad guys can't be killed. Look out for these immortal creeps!
- The points you get depend on how you kill the enemy. Try a few different
methods to see which gives you the most points.
Beware! The following are deadly:
- Bumping into members of the Turtle Tribe and other baddies. Walking into
- When you bump into a shell you had once kicked.
* However, Super Mario returns to regular Mario and the game continues at that
- When you fall into a pit or get sucked down a drain.
- Time runs out.
A mushroom who betrayed the Mushroom Kingdom. One stomp and he dies.
Koopa Troopa (green)
Soldier of the Turtle Empire, his orders are to find and destroy Mario. Jump
on him and he stops moving for awhile.
Koopa Troopa (red)
This turtle is chicken! Very timid, he gets scared easily and runs back and
forth a lot. Jump on him and he stops moving for awhile.
Koopa Paratroopa (green)
A bit out of control, he wings around aimlessly and comes at you all of a
sudden. Stomp on him and he loses his wings.
Koopa Paratroopa (red)
This turtle is under control, but he likes to take it easy. Stomp on him and
he loses his wings.
Quite the toughy, fireballs don't even faze him.
The Hammer Brothers
These wily twin-brother turtles come at you throwing hammers.
The mysterious turtle who controls the clouds. He chases after Mario and drops
Spiny's eggs on top of him.
Lakitu's pet, but a wild fighter. You can't kill him by jumping on top of him.
Man-eating plants that live in the flowerpots. They show their faces quickly
and without warning, so watch out! You can't kill them by jumping on top of
Eggs of the turtle Spiny, pet of Lakitu. You can't destroy them by jumping on
Chases after Mario slowly but steadily. You can kill him by jumping onto him
Usually found in the water, but also sprouts wings and flies so you have to
be careful in the air too. Can't be killed from above while she's in the
Chases stubbornly after Mario; a guy to look out for. You can't kill him by
jumping on top of him.
Protector of the great sorcerer Koopa king, he comes flying out of the lake of
fire inside the Koopa king's castle.
Princess of the Mushroom Kingdom, she is the only one who can break the spell
of the evil Koopa king.
Seven Mushrooms who originally served in the court of Princess Toadstool, but
are now under the spell of the evil Koopa king.
If Mario jumps on it, it goes up and down. Pushing the A button when the
jumping board is all the way up makes Mario jump superhigh.
Bowser, King of the Koopa
The sorcerer king holding Princess Toadstool captive in the last castle. He
comes at you spitting fire. There are several ways to kill him, but you only
get points if you use fireballs.
Super Mario Bros. Secret Tricks
'sssh! don't tell anyone!'...
Shell bulldozer attack
- Kick one of the shells and then run right behind it (use the B button) and
your path will be cleared for you as your enemies are sent flying.
* Just look out for ricochets. If the shell runs into a pipe, your attack will
backfire and you'd better move fast to keep from getting swept off yourself.
- If you want to get a lot of points, be sure not to leave any enemies behind
you, since the more enemies you kill the more new ones appear. Especially,
when using the "bulldozer attack", make sure all the enemies on the screen
are wiped out before continuing to the right.
- Because the screen moves from left to right, there are enemies off the edge
of the screen that can't be seen. You can't kill enemies you can't see by
sending a shell off the screen after them. Why not? Maybe they jump over the
enemy when Mario isn't looking...!
Strangely enough, however, if a kicked shell bumps into a pipe off the
screen, it comes ricocheting back at Mario. If you hear the sound of a rico-
chet, jump right away so you'll be ready when it comes flying back onto the
- When a shell comes ricocheting back at you, it's possible (for a real pro,
that is) to stomp on the turtle one more time and stop it.
- There are plenty of other tricks - see if you can discover them on your own.
- Use the old "Domino Effect" (ask your parents) to wipe out a bunch of bad
guys one after the other to get high points.
- Each coin you grab is worth 200 points. If you collect 100 coins, besides
the points for the coins you also get an extra Mario. Without a doubt, a
lot of coins are tucked away somewhere... (why do ya' suppose this is under
* You get 50 points for each brick you smash... try punching lots of different
* There are several different ways to get an extra Mario... try to figure them
* At the end of an area (after you jump onto the flagpole), fireworks may go
off, and for each explosion you get 500 points. The reason the fireworks go
off is a secret; see if you can figure it out.